Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Won't Go Onsite..............




I am a frequenter on the various social networks.
Yesterday, I happened to open my friend list which displays the friend’s name and their location.



Pages after pages were people with locations like Richmond, Akron, London, San Jose, NY, Irving, Sydney, Bonn, Cambridgeshire…….
In fact my resident Indian friends are right now a numeric minority.
There are more friends in Texas than in Tamilnadu!

When I joined TCS after my stint at engineering, the first reaction I got from my mates was “You lucky guy, you will be abroad in no time”.
Yet after almost 8 years of work in the sunshine software sector, my passport has no stamps. I have worked in Trivandrum, Kolkata, Delhi NCR and Indore but never out of India.

The interesting part is, when I say this to any of my colleagues that “I have never been onsite”, I get comments that range from hilarious to outrageous, crazy to disgusting, hurtful to astonished. Here is a small assortment:

“Oh you poor thing, try harder the next time and your manager will surely send you abroad”.
“It is not easy, there are many with no capabilities languishing in India and dreaming about it. You need to put your act together.”
“This is unbelievable….are you telling the truth?”
“Threaten your manager with resignation and ask him/her that only way you stay back is if they send you out.”
Blah…blah….blah…………

Then of course there is the “uncle” kinds; you know the landlords, your fathers’ friends etc - I mean the kind with grey hairs and therefore the bearers of profound wisdom who feel the moral obligation to enthusiastically hard sell their advice to you irrespective of the fact the you have no need for them. They give you even better reactions:
“You know my son ABC, the moment he joined the company XYZ, they realized his potential and he was beseeched to join the workforce at US. I tell you, these multinationals have an eye for talent.” (Which means, you are a complete idiot and such a loser that no one thinks you have any potential).

Yes, I guess I am definitely a loser. Otherwise how do you explain that being in the software business for as long as 8 years, I could never go onsite? Everyone is sure that I regularly have wet dreams of landing at the Heathrow or at JFK with a bag full of rice, dal, papad, pickle, Indian spices, chavanprash etc and a eye full of dreams of getting myself clicked at the Times Square, Niagara Falls, Vegas, Big Ben and put them for public consumption on the social networks.

Social networks are great places for advertising your “oh you know what, I have been there” image with aplomb.
In fact a friend of mine had put a traffic ticket’s scanned image that he had “earned” while driving in Nevada! Beat this for creativity.

At workplace I see so many colleagues squabbling regularly for the coveted onsite posting. Political plottings, cajoling managers, dire threatening, massaging client’s egos, citing amazing and sometimes jaw dropping excuses to earn the prized ticket seems a way of life. Some of the really amazing but true excuses are:

The beseeching the manager kind: “I have a huge loan owing to my sister’s marriage; I need to make some bucks.”
The threatening kind: “I have worked in this project for 2 years; I think it should be me this time or release me.”
The jaw dropping kind: “I am finding marriage proposals turned down for my lack of onsite experience, so……”

So, what is this collective mania of going onsite/abroad which grips almost everyone at our workplaces? Why is it so that going abroad is an “objective” that has to be achieved, rather than it being a natural by product of working in the globalized environs?

I believe, we have this incredible racial notion of considering the fair skinned world a better place which may have been implanted generations before as a result of the indelible hangover of colonial slavery and later on passed on to us. That’s why I see people eager to travel to US, Europe and Australia (all fair skinned worlds) whereas very little interest is available in travelling to say Brazil (which is far ahead of India but of course not as much as say Belgium). Trips to Africa are certainly humiliating, akin to a proud bellicose Delhite’s transfer to Chennai.

This inferiority is so deeply ingrained that when I see the pics posted by many of my friends, I always find them with the known circle of Indian friends. Despite being in a macrocosm of cosmopolitan plurality very few of us seem to inculcate the same in their lifestyle. After all, the must achieve “objective” was to land in the white skinned land, not to mix with them or the least adopt the cosmopolitan outlook.

Yes, I have been a loser; been not clever enough that any management would think that without me functioning from the West the company would just fall apart; been a non-cosmopolitan desi who is too scared to go off limits; and now a sure candidate to be labeled a racist after having written such a blog, but whatever may I seem, I simply don’t want to go onsite.

Let’s end this blog with another real life case. I was getting a transfer from TCS Kolkata to TCS Delhi (which is a big deal mind you, because of the geopolitics). A colleague of mine from TCS Kolkata was onsite. His father met me and gave me an authentic Bengali K C Paul umbrella (FYI, generations in Bengal have shielded themselves from rain using K C Paul’s legendary umbrella) and a sealed tiffin box.
I was supposed to give it to a guy in Delhi who was also supposed to fly to the same location where my friend was. I could never understand the rationale of shipping an umbrella to London (a city where rains are everyday phenomenon) but then I thought may be it was his favorite brand that was not available there. But, guess what was shipped in the sealed tiffin box? His favorite brand of underwear!





11 comments:

Ritesh Anand said...

Ladke!!! ...... u and loser????? No can be true .......

Buddy, i wish to be the part of ur esteemed company ( -> as me too has not seen the sunrise/sunset in 'vilayat') ....

Lucky to have *mis*sed to get this (mis)fortune ..... :-P

Guess, it takes some real iron 'balls' to publish an article like this one. Love it!

Let's see if this comment crosses the line (of ur Comment moderation). ;-)

Roshit said...

Hahaha...add to it the fact that people at onsite don't know cooking, and they start their career as a cook also there...they earn so much to eat jali hui sabji, frozen chapati and what not...I am onsite and I am also doing cooking....

manasij said...

@Ritesh: It has been published. Purely because I beliebe in freedom of expression :-) Tu bhi vilayat nahi gaya? shame on you, you loser.....

Ritesh Anand said...

Oye hoye.....I am phamous now, to have received a comment from the 'Great One' ;-)


Nahi Ladke, have not been to Bilaayat. ;-P

For my super-duper convoluted comments (like this Ladka's Blog). I bet, i will not be able to make the ABC out of it in a couple of days time, if i manage to stumble on this golden Blog again ......

Sujash Das said...

u rightly said abt a bagful of rice, spices, dal and etc etc.
I can share one incident here. My 20 yrs exp DM got caught in SFO airport with 10 kgs of rice, 5 kgs of dal and fined 350 usd. hahahahaha.........

Abhishek Thakur said...

You are a loser. (Spoiler alert: The following comment is referenced from '95 batch, st xavier's patna) See Achal Kumar also joined TCS just like you did and now he is in Kopenhagen too.

But don't worry. I am keeping your company as well. :-D

Ankur Chandra said...

Ek baar mujhe bhi ek Uncle mile jinhone apne ladke k softwarei job ke baare mei kuch aisa bola.."are company ke maalik log uske kaam se itna khush hue ki unhone us se kaha..ki aap ab jaaiye US ka kaam sambhaliye..India ka kaam to hota hi rahega..ab wo US mei company ka kaam sambhal raha hai.."
On a serious note, we all would agree that going to onsite should be natural extension of your job as IT consultant/contractor/service provider.
I always wanted to go to onsite. No more now, because I am satisfied with experience so far.
I don't agree too much with the racist reasoning of going to specific location. US and Europe actually speaking are best locations to work because of several reasons. One, quality of life is better as compared to other locations. Two, people understand english in general. Three, incidentally, you get more money there most of the time.
Other point, flaunting is one of the basic nature of people in whatever way they can. Posing with famous buildings etc. is most harmless kind of flaunting which 90% of people in this world do anyways. I have not seen any one who goes to Eifeil Tower or Taj Mahal and comes back without a picture so far. To attack you only for the sake of attacking, I can say that there are different kinds of flaunting. If you write something, I would say you are flaunting your writing style, which obviously is wrong.
Other point, to want money is not bad thing. Onsite gives money. That's a truth and people want money, that's also a truth. Most of us might not want to go to onsite for long term, if they get 3000 dollars per month in India.
At the end, very nice blog as always. :-)

manasij said...

@Ankur: Thanks for your detailed comments Ankur. I think you may have perceived that I am trying to ridicule the posing at important landmarks kind of pics and posting them on social n/w. If, so then please understand it is because of the flaw in my writing, I need to improve. I was just trying to make a light hearted reference to the behavioral type which lets you post a traffic ticket as your real deed kind of things. I have posted so many pics of so many locations myself, I guess I was not flaunting. So, I am surely not pointing fingers here. I am not against the will of people to earn money or go places. I am not making any judgments. Consider this blog as a buffet, what you do not like, just don't load your plate with it :-) And yes, keep posting your comments. BTW, you gave a killer real life example.....still laughing at it :-)

Ankur Chandra said...

@Manasij: Yeah. Possibly I would have misunderstood on that point. Anyway, you keep writing, I will keep commenting. Good work. :-)

Arindam said...

Good one Manasij. Lot of what you have said is true to my opinion except the racial connotation of visiting vilayat. I liked Ankur's assessment in the comments section. Well thought out.

manasij said...

@Arindam: Thanks for your views Arindam.....We all have our opinions and like I said before, keep them coming....it is always nice to have as many opinions as possible on a subject from your friends :-)